Yeasty Cinnamon Rolls (YouTube video version, with soft edges)
- Sweet Yeast Dough
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour more if needed
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons instant yeast
- Filling Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- In a medium saucepan, heat water, milk and butter over medium low heat just until warm.
- Add eggs to warm milk mixture and whisk gently.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk sugar, white whole wheat flour, 1 cup of the all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and yeast.
- Using the paddle attachment, slowly add the liquid ingredients on low speed.
- Raise the speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes.
- Change to the dough hook attachment and slowly add remaining 3 ½ cups of flour until a dough forms.
- Pour the dough onto a work surface and lightly knead it using a dough scraper to scoop it up and fold it over onto itself. It should be smooth and elastic. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle a little flour over it.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl turning the dough over so the greased side is up. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Prepare Cinnamon Filling: Whisk together cinnamon and sugar until well blended.
- Using a rubber spatula, blend butter into cinnamon sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Assemble Cinnamon Rolls: Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a 13 x 18” rectangle.
- Using an offset spatula spread the cinnamon sugar butter over entire rectangle.
- Roll dough starting at the longer side into a tight spiraled log.
- Spray one 13” x 9” x 2” baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Using a long, sharp knife cut the log crosswise into 1-1½ inch thick slices. Place cinnamon rolls cut side up into the pan. There should be a little space between rolls. You should have about 12 rolls total. If you have a few extra rolls, place them on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise for approximately 35 minutes or until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake cinnamon rolls for approximately 30-35 minutes or until light brown. Rotate pan midway through baking.
- Prepare glaze while rolls bake: In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and enough of the milk until a thick glaze is created. The glaze should NOT be too thin.
- While they are still warm, drizzle or spread glaze over pan of cinnamon rolls. Best if eaten warm.
Makes approximately 12-15 cinnamon rolls