Simple Yeast Bread
- 1 package 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3 cups 14 ounces bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ¼ ounce kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- In a large bowl, combine the first three ingredients and blend well.
- Add the water and mix with a spoon. If the mixture is too dry, add a little more water.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it until it forms a smooth ball.
- Spray a medium bowl with nonstick cooking spray and place the ball of dough in it. Flip it over so the greased side is facing up.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise for one hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Deflate the dough and shape it into a round loaf.
- Place the loaf onto a sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm spot for about one hour. It may not double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- With a water bottle, spray the dough a few times to mist it with water.
- Using a knife or razor, cut a few decorative slits into the surface of the dough.
- Bake the loaf for about 15 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and feels firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool.
Makes one loaf