Strawberry Shortcakes with Mango Sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for sprinkling over shortcakes
- 4 cups fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 mangoes peeled and the flesh cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Zest from 1 lime
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Confectioners’ sugar
Make the shortcakes
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is pea-sized.
- Using a large spoon, blend in the milk and stir just until a dough forms.
- On a sheet pan covered with parchment paper, drop 6 tablespoons of dough leaving a space between each.
- Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar over each biscuit.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are nice and brown. Cool.
Make the Strawberries
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and allow to sit in the refrigerator for one hour.
Make the Mango Sauce
- Purée the mango cubes and lime juice in a food processor or blender until almost smooth, with only a few small pieces of mango.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in zest.
- Split each biscuit and place the bottom half onto a dessert plate.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream, some strawberries and some mango sauce. Cover with the top half of the biscuit.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar through a sieve and serve at once.
Makes 6 shortcakes