Pistachio Almond Filling
Makes approximately 2-2 ½ cups
- 2 cups pistachios blanched
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup packed (8 ounces) almond paste, broken up into pieces
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, plus an additional 1 tablespoon if too thick
- 1-2 tablespoons or more of water to thin out filling if desired
- Green gel food coloring, if desired
- Place pistachios and confectioner’s sugar in a food processor and process until nuts are finely ground.
- Add almond paste and extract, pulse until well blended.
- Add corn syrup and pulse until well combined.
- If the mixture will be used as a candy or truffle center, leave as is. If using as a cake filling, add additional tablespoon of corn syrup and enough water to make the mixture spreadable.
- Blend in green food coloring if desired.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Note: to blanch pistachios, place them in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and drain. Place nuts onto a clean, dry kitchen towel and rub gently until the skins of the nuts come off. Discard skins.