Spiced Apple Pie
- Flaky Cream Cheese Crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup 6 ¾ ounces cold cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 18 tablespoons 2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed
- Spiced Apple Filling
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 cups thinly sliced, cored, peeled, firm apples
- 1 large egg to be used as an egg wash
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- In a food processor, pulse the flour and baking powder until combined. Add the cold cream cheese and pulse until small pieces form – about 5-6 pulses.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until butter becomes the size of peas.
- Add the vinegar and 3 tablespoons of the ice water, and pulse just until dry ingredients come together. If the dough is still too dry, add another tablespoon of water.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and gently gather it together into a rough ball.
- Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a 1-inch thick disk. Place in the refrigerator for approximately 2 hours or the freezer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut approximately 1/3 of the dough off of the disk. Roll the one third of dough into an approximate 12-14 inch circle. Place the circle into a 10-inch pie plate, leaving the dough hanging over the sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both sugars, the flour, and all the spices until well combined. Place the sliced apples into a very large bowl and pour the spice blend over them. Gently blend them together using your hands until apples are well coated.
- Pour apple mixture into pie plate, pressing down gently.
- Roll out the remaining dough into a large rectangle, at least 10-12 inches long. Using a pizza wheel, cut the dough into strips anywhere from ½ to ¾ of an inch, and cover apples using strips of dough formed into a lattice pattern.
- Cut excess pieces of dough from around the edges. Using a pastry brush, lightly egg wash the edges of the bottom crust and seal the top strips to the bottom crust, crimping the edges decoratively as desired.
- Place the pie onto a large sheet pan covered with foil. Egg wash the entire top of the pie, sprinkling with granulated sugar.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes, and then turn the oven down to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and continue to bake for 20 more minutes. You should see some steam coming out from between the lattice strips. If pie is getting too dark, lightly cover the top with foil. Continue baking for 20 minutes more. Crust should be nice and brown and filling should be bubbling through the lattice.
- Remove from oven and cool.
Makes 1 10-inch pie