- 1 quart canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pour enough of the canola oil into a large, heavy saucepan so that it is approximately 2 inches deep. Place a deep fat thermometer into the oil and heat it to 375°F. The heat should be on medium to medium high.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, the baking powder and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, ricotta cheese and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Pour the ricotta and egg mixture into the dry ingredients, and using a large spoon, mix gently until a very sticky dough forms.
- Place several paper towels onto a sheet pan for draining the zeppole after they are fried.
- When the oil has come up to temperature, take a small ice cream scoop or a teaspoon and dip it quickly in and out of the hot oil so that the zeppole dough will not stick to it.
- Scoop up a teaspoon of dough and gently place it into the hot oil. Repeat making 3 or 4 more zeppole in the same manner.
- Fry the zeppole for 2-3 minutes or until they become nice and brown. Remove them from the oil, and allow them to drain on the paper towel lined sheet pan.
- Allow one to cool and break it open to make sure it is completely cooked through.
- Combine the 1 cup of granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Take the drained zeppole and roll them into the cinnamon sugar mixture until well coated. Place them onto a clean platter. Serve at once or within a few hours.
Makes approximately 31 1-inch wide zeppole