Lemon Cream Tart
- 1 recipe Chef Gail’s Cookie Tart Crust baked and cooled
- 1 teaspoon unflavored powdered gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons ½ stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar sifted if lumpy
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine gelatin and water in a small bowl and allow to bloom.
- Whisk sugar, juice, eggs and yolks in a heatproof, nonreactive bowl.
- Set bowl over a bowl of simmering water. The bottom of the bowl should not touch the water.
- Whisk constantly until a thermometer reads 160° Fahrenheit. This should take approximately 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add bloomed gelatin and whisk until gelatin is melted into the curd. Add butter and blend. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl set over an ice water bath. Allow to cool.
- Remove the bowl from the ice water bath and place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the curd. Chill in the refrigerator until very cold.
- Stir the lemon curd to soften it a bit and pour it into the prepared cookie tart crust.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Using a large spoon, dollop the whip cream evenly over the lemon curd. Smooth with an offset spatula. Chill in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, unmold the tart onto a serving platter.
Makes 1 9-inch diameter tart