Funfetti White Cake
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 2 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray, line each pan with parchment circles, grease again, and flour. Set aside.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together egg whites, milk, and vanilla.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, until well blended. You can also use a whisk to combine the mixture.
- On low speed, add the softened butter, and blend until incorporated. Lumps will form.
- Add liquid ingredients in two stages, stopping the mixer and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Batter should be thick and smooth. Put mixer on medium-high speed for about 5-10 seconds to thoroughly blend all ingredients.
- Remove the bowl from the electric mixer and gently fold in the sprinkles until they are well blended in.
- Divide batter between the 2 prepared cake pans.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until a small, sharp knife inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from pans when barely warm and place on cooling racks or cardboard cake circles. Frost as desired.
Makes 2 9-inch round layers