Smoked Gouda Almond Crisps
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 ¼ cups shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg yolk — save the white to be used as an egg wash
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup salted almonds, finely chopped
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt, onion, garlic powder, and pepper until blended.
- Add cheese and butter, and pulse until the cheese and butter are broken down into tiny pieces.
- Add the egg yolk and water, and pulse until the mixture comes together into a dough.
- Place dough onto a work surface and divide it in half.
- Form each half into an approximately 9-inch long log. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and place on a sheet pan.
- Chill in the refrigerator until dough becomes firm – approximately 1-3 hours, or freeze for up to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat the reserved egg white lightly with a fork, and using a pastry brush, coat each log with egg white.
- Roll each log into the chopped almonds, coating the logs completely.
- Slice the logs into 1/8-1/4 inch slices. Place slices approximately 1 inch apart on 2 parchment-lined sheet pans.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the crisps are lightly brown. Cool thoroughly. Crisps will firm up as they cool.
Makes approximately 60-65 crisps